Monday, June 16, 2014

Did It Work?

I was able to participate in some of the greatest experiences of my life this past week. I, along with a number of my colleagues and close friends, was able to attend a couple of football-development programs in some favelas in Curitiba, as well as in the neighboring city of Pinhais. Here we provided the vast amount of underprivileged children with a variety of healthy food, soccer clothing and equipment, and many other things, not to mention our entire afternoon dedicated to playing with them. These will definitely be moments in my life that I will never forget and will always cherish.
But honestly… Was it enough to really make a serious impact on their lives? The optimist in me is screaming “YES!” but the healthy skeptic in me keeps asking “But how?” I know this is quite the mood killer, but hear me out.
Before I go any further I simply want to point out that I am an advocate of programs such as LionsRaw and Cheer for Peace (the two organizations that I had the privilege to work with) and would recommend supporting and participating in them whenever you have the opportunity to do so. Being able to make these children and families happy for even one day constitutes a success in my books. Their escape from poverty may not have been achieved, but there was still definitely success. However, there are definitely more effective ways to create lasting success and make a lasting effect on these children.
Although I firmly believe sports can potentially be a very effective tool in the education of a variety of life skills, I also realize the fact that this goal needs to be well planned and well implemented depending on the specific requirements of each child. As D. Parnell et al. explains, many football-orientated interventions (such as the ones that I accompanied) cannot adequately prove any true effectiveness in achieving goals such as the increasing levels of participation in sports and general healthy behaviour. This means that although there are countless football organizations aimed at increasing the quality of life of people all around the world, many may not achieve their grandiose ambitions due to the ways in which they go about their programs. Many programs claim to make their players better citizens as a whole, which is an impossible ambition through the use of sports alone.
Taking a step back, let me explain the first project that I worked with.
I went to Pinhais to work with LionsRaw, which was an organized soccer camp consisting of multiple coaches that help train and develop the football skills children of less affluent circumstances in the favelas in Pinhais and Curitiba. Here I was able to participate in some of the drills, play a game against the older kids in the group (aged 12-15) and help distribute some football clothes and equipment to some of the children. These drills seemed to be well organized and well executed, focussing on different age groups and many different football skills.
There was one thing that really stuck out to me with this project though… The main coach of the program whose name unfortunately I don’t remember was obviously a well-educated man in the world of football (apparently once being a professional goalie).  He was quite simply the heart and soul of this program. The way that the children treated this man with such respect and love showed me that this program definitely has the potential to make an impact on these children outside of the world of football, as well.
Now let me explain my second experience working with a football development program here in Brasil.
To be quite honest, the majority of my contribution to the event (held by the Cheer for Peace organization) was to entertain as many kids as possible, distribute jerseys, and, by the end of it, essentially be a piggy-back machine able to fit a maximum of 12 kids at one time. However, every time that I looked around I would see the many group organizers either helping children operate the bike that fuelled the blender to make juice, organizing more equipment to give away, passing a soccer ball within a group, or participating in a multitude of other activities with the kids and their families.
Now back to the article…
D. Parnell et al. continues to state that in order to maximize the potential of sport-development programs, they first have to develop and utilize effective working practices that specifically relate to the individuals who are involved in the direct delivery of the programmes. This is precisely what I experienced here in the favelas, as well. The main coach in the LionsRaw project knew exactly what he was doing right from the get go. He obviously had specific goals with each group of children (attending to individual children when they needed it), implemented these goals effectively with the help of his knowledgeable coaches, and in turn was even able to create a very powerful relationship with the children that he coached.
The second project that I attended did not have such a figure, however. That being said, I do also believe that this program was very effective in creating a very fun and enjoyable atmosphere for the children, as well as providing them with some essential soccer equipment. We didn’t merely provide them with a ball to play with, either. We showed them how to play with it, how to play with others with it, how to enjoy participation, etc. This is where I notice a glimmer of hope in the effectiveness of football and development programs. NO, this program was not a technical camp focused on the development of specific skills and techniques, but it was absolutely an opportunity to be an example of how to kick, pass, and control a football even if this wasn’t the main intention. For example, I was juggling with two boys aged 8 and 10 and showed them a couple tricks that I have in my limited repertoire. Half an hour later, I noticed that these same two boys were continuously practicing the tricks off to the side of the event, and were getting pretty good at it too! I am absolutely not going to take full credit for their skills and abilities, but I do not think it is much of a stretch to say that these kids were practicing these tricks more so after my example.
Finally, I believe when all is said and done, the most important thing in terms of the effectiveness of sport-development programs such as these truly revolves around the people creating the goals of the program and the ways in which they implement them. Stay simple and do not try to find the immediate cure is my best advice. The fact that the man from LionsRaw was able to create such a strong relationship with this vast amount of kids, as well as the way in which he did so (simple goals, well organized, no wild ambitions), makes me conclude that this project was the most successful at creating the possibility of having lasting effects on the lives of the children involved in the program outside of the world of football.




 “Cheer for Peace” Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment